The Commons is focused on providing unparalleled work, social and meeting locales for entrepreneurs, freelancers and small businesses.
Evolving from our core as a cowork space, The Commons has a variety of event spaces that we rent for external bookings which range from professional gatherings to social soirees to weddings.
The Event Host works closely with our Event Architect on the day of event to provide exceptional customer service to our clients while also maintaining our policies and procedures so that the venue is cared for and respected.
The host has a knack for juggling several priorities at once. They revel in the process of collaborating with clients and liaising with vendors to bring extraordinary event visions to life. Above all else, they enjoy people, solving problems and consistently go out of their way to make people feel at home.
Personality is paramount in this position, as well as a positive attitude and reliability. The successful candidate will strive to deliver exceptional service through each and every event at The Commons, from the first moment guests arrive to when the last guest leaves.
areas of Responsibilities and key roles
Liaise with the Event Architect before each event to understand the needs and requirements and connect after each event to give feedback on how the event went.
Open the venue and prepare/set up the room for the event
Greet clients and do a walk through of the space with clients
Work with vendors (ie: catering staff) in getting them set up
Communicate house rules to clients; be an ambassador of our services and policies
Collect & compile feedback from clients and vendors
Act as an IT liaison by being familiar with the set up requirements for technology in all rooms
Make sure the rooms are clean, fully stocked, and function optimally
Confirm paperwork (liquor licenses, event insurance, pre + post checklist)
Check in throughout the event and address any issues including room operations, parking, rowdy behaviour etc.
Close the venue
There may be some light admin work if the Event Architect needs any help.
Note: light furniture moving and some cleaning may be required
personality and expectations
Personality is paramount in this position, as well as a positive attitude and reliability. The Event Host will strive to deliver exceptional service through each and every event at The Commons. The Event Host brings our brand and values to life through providing an amazing customer experience.
In summary The Event Host:
• Believes in exceptional customer service and hospitality
• Consistently displays courtesy, etiquette, warmth and enthusiasm both verbally and in written communiqués.
• Is invested in the success of our business and is willing to go the extra mile.
• Can maintain our guidelines and rules and is confident enough to communicate them and ensure people adhere to them.
• Is responsible (makes notes of requests, constantly tries to make things better and follows-through).
• Is well organized, thus being able to pay acute attention to details.
• Prioritizes and is able to handle multiple and changing priorities in a professional manner.
• Demonstrates exceptional time management skills.
• Over communicates when doing something new.
• Contributes in a positive and productive manner as a member of The Commons team.
• Displays a notable willingness to assist clients and guests beyond normal job duties.
• Takes pride in our space and our brand
Contacted as needed
Paid hourly and the Event Host is to invoice The Commons after each event. $15/hr for training shifts, $18/hr for regular shifts.
The Event Host reports directly to the Event Architect. The Event Host will also work closely with security onsite and vendor (such as catering) staff.
Usually for events we ask you to wear nice but comfortable clothing (usually black or dark) as you will be quite active during the shift. Pick something you will feel comfortable being in if you need to go into a room where people are having a cocktail party, but equally comfortable moving furniture, walking quickly between venues etc.
While this description provides a general overview of your expected duties and responsibilities, it should not be taken as fixed or exhaustive, and you will be expected to perform any reasonable employment task given by your immediate supervisor.
How to apply
Closing Deadline: October 11, 2019
Subject line: “Event Host”